“Nothing is too big for God!”
The new year is upon us! According to recent research, 45 percent of Americans say they usually make New Year’s resolutions. Would you believe that only eight percent are successful in achieving their goals? Most people want to start the new year off with positive changes, but after a couple of months we seem to lose interest and decide not to finish. A resolution is a firm decision to do or not to do something. It takes 21 days to make or break a habit and another 21 days to solidify it — no wonder we find it hard to finish! We have grown so used to everything being microwavable that we don’t want to wait 42+ days for anything!
One of the Fruits of the Spirit is Patience. The other Fruit that goes along with that is Long-Suffering. Patience deals with circumstances. Long-Suffering deals with people. When it comes to resolutions, we need both!
Here are tips to help you start the new year and keep the momentum going. Think of it as four quarters of a basketball game, each quarter a month long, and you are starting and playing all four quarters. At the end of the four months, you win the game because you have created new habits and kept moving forward!
- Make two lists.
- List 1: Write down all the events that you would like to forget about 2021.
- List 2: Write down everything you want to see happen in 2022. I mean Everything!
- Set aside the first list for now. Go back to the second and rework it. Get as detailed as possible. Dream, write, now dream again! Be as specific as possible.
- Set goals that will motivate you to keep moving forward toward your dreams. Are you intrinsically or extrinsically motivated? Do you have ways to stay motivated?
- Group things together — personal, family, career, prayers, etc. Your goals may be different for each group.
- Find someone that you can share your list with that knows you and maybe even has similar goals. Have them make a list as well. You can stand together in prayer and faith and walk through the year holding each other accountable.
- Put your goals in front of you. Review progress daily/weekly and do a monthly goal check.
- Learn a new skill or try something new. A cooking class, ballroom dancing, write a blog or whatever stretches you a bit. This gets you out of your comfort zone, and you continue to grow.
- Go back to your list and add some things that you can’t do in the natural. These are things that only God can do for you right now. These are things that will stretch you… a lot! God wants to bless His kids, but we need to allow Him to do so. That means, believing Him and taking Him at His Word. His promises are yes and amen to His kids! (That’s us!) If you need a miracle, put it on your list! God is in the miracle business! If you need restoration in the family, He can do that too!
- Take the 2021 list and speak over it. Say goodbye to everything on there. Out with the old and in with the new! You can even burn it if you want to as a prophetic declaration. You are closing the door to 2021 and opening the door to 2022 and all God has for you!
Nothing is too big for God! God wants us to dream BIG! He wants us to put things on our list that only He can do for us! That way He gets the glory, and we can testify to His goodness! We have not because we ask not. What do you need God to do for you in 2022? Write it down!
Isaiah 42: 9 “Behold, the former things have come to pass, and new things I declare; before they spring forth, I tell you of them. Vs. 16 “I will bring the blind by a way they did not know; I will lead them in paths they have not known, I will make darkness light before them, and crooked places straight. These things I will do for them.”
Isaiah 43:18-19 “Do not remember the former things, nor consider the things of old. Behold, I will do a new thing, now it shall spring forth, shall you not know it? I will make a road in the wilderness and rivers in the desert.”
No matter what 2021 looked like, God has an amazing, wonderful, more than enough 2022 planned just for you!